Achieving Systemness: Competitive Challenges
In this episode of Leader Dialogue podcast, the hosts interview Dr. Scott Nygaard, the COO of Lee Health System in SW Florida. Lee Health is one of the largest public health systems in the U.S. and one of the largest not-for-profit public health system and safety net health systems in Florida that receives no direct tax support.
Dr. Nygaard joined Lee Health in September 2010. Before joining Lee Health, Dr. Nygaard served as the senior vice president for Corporate Services at Via Christi Health System in Wichita, Kan., where he had responsibility for Human Resources, Supply Chain, Quality, Outreach Services, Legal Services, Compliance, Information Technology and physician relations.
Listen to the episode with the streaming player above, or on your favorite podcast app: Apple Podcasts, Google Podcasts, Spotify, Stitcher, Podcast Addict, Castbox, Amazon Music, Audible
In this 30 minute episode you’ll learn:
- What the COVID-19 pandemic exposed about supply chains in healthcare and how we can be better prepared next time (9:00)
- The lasting impact the pandemic has had on the mental health of healthcare workers (12:00)
- How the role of healthcare providers grew and changed when family members couldn’t be present in hospitals during the worst months of the pandemic (13:45)
- Why partnerships rather than competition might be a better way for health systems to serve a community (20:00)
- Why patient flow is broken, how labor supply issues impact this, and some of the ways this can be addressed in the short and the long term (24:30)
Checkout other podcasts and webinars from the ABOUT and Baldridge partnership